Remote participation for the Board Meeting scheduled for 6:00pm on April 27th is available by sending an email to district Superintendent, Travis Hanson (click the name to send an email). If you are unable to email, please call 464-5507.
Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 20-28 temporarily suspends portions of the Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA) and the Public Records Act to help stem the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). In keeping with the elements of the proclamation, Deer Park’s Board of Directors will attend to the following:
- Regular and special meetings conducted during the COVID-19 disease outbreak must continue to be open to the public.
- The proclamation suspends OPMA language requiring school boards to provide a physical location for the public to attend meetings in-person.
- The proclamation requires that all board meeting attendance not take place in-person but occur remotely, to include both board directors and the public.
- The proclamation requires that remote meetings include an option for telephonic access. Under the proclamation, there is no violation for asking the public to register to use a conference call-in or remote access login by entering name/email information.
- The proclamation suspends the ability of school boards to take “action” on matters at a meeting unless they are: (1) matters necessary and routine, or (2) necessary to respond to the outbreak and current public health emergency. What is necessary and routine is contextual to each school district’s situation.
The Board is committed to open and public governance, but also appreciates your understanding of the need to comply with the Governor’s Proclamation as we continue to deal with these difficult circumstances. Throughout the school closure and during the period of limited public interaction, the Board of Directors plans to limit action taken to only those items deemed routine or necessary for ongoing educational operation and business continuity.