Are you a non-profit or community-based organization looking to get information to kids and families in DPSD? You’re in the right place!
Deer Park School District recognizes the important role that non-profit and community-based organizations play in providing educational, cultural, and recreational programs for our students during non-school hours. As detailed in Board Policy 4060, materials from not-for-profit organizations that are non-curricular but that have social, recreational or educational value for students may be approved for distribution to students in accordance with adopted procedures. Submitted materials are reviewed on a case-by-case basis with the decision to approve or deny being made in concert with the district’s educational goals and objectives.
As part of the district’s efforts to be environmentally friendly, embrace technology, and maintain fiscal responsibility, we have contracted with an e-flyer distribution service called Peachjar. Peachjar is a platform that allows non-profit, charitable, civic, and school-based organizations to distribute information to students and families. Upon approval, flyers are emailed directly to parents and posted to the respective building websites. Before being distributed, all non-school material must be approved by the Superintendent’s office. Approval is granted via the Peachjar platform – visit www.peachjar.com to set up your account.
Will there be a fee associated with using the Peachjar platform?
When there is no charge for your event or related to the information you’re distributing, there is no charge for using the Peachjar platform (Peachjar’s Free-for-Free program). Any non-profit or community organization planning to charge a fee for their advertised event, will pay Peachjar a $25 fee (per school/per flyer) for use of the distribution platform. That being said, even when there’s a fee involved for the event, if money raised is going directly to a school or school group the platform fee is waived.
Printed copies of approved flyers
Schools will accept up to 25 paper copies of an approved flyer to be made available for pickup in the school office. Paper copies will not be distributed in classrooms. It is the responsibility of the non-profit or community organization to provide the copies to the school (after receiving approval for distribution from the Superintendent’s office).
Guidelines for PTAs, Boosters, Clubs, & ASBs
PTAs, clubs, booster groups, and ASBs or other organizations that exist in direct connection with or in service of the school or district are also encouraged to use Peachjar for distribution of information about school or “school-connected” events. These internal or school-connected organizations should download the “Internal Flyer Distribution Form” and follow those guidelines and instructions.
What You Need to Know About Distributing Non-School Information to Kids and Families
Who can distribute flyer to kids/families?
Any non-profit organization seeking permission to distribute materials through the schools must meet the following requirements:
- Qualify as a non-profit, charitable, or civic organization (UBI or Tax ID number required), and
- Present materials of educational, civic or cultural value, and
- Submit materials through the Peachjar system and receive approval from the district before the items are distributed.
Flyers must meet the following requirements:
- The name of nonprofit organization must be displayed prominently on the flyer;
- The nonprofit name or logo must be bigger than any for-profit partner on the flyer;
- Include the following disclaimer on the materials:
“The Deer Park School District does not sponsor this event and the district assumes no responsibility for it. In consideration of the privilege to distribute materials, the Deer Park School District shall be held harmless from any cause of action filed in any court or administrative tribunal arising out of the distribution of these materials, including costs, attorney’s fees and judgments or awards.”
Please note: Flyers may only appear on Peachjar for a maximum of 60 days.
The district cannot approve the distribution of any material that:
- Contains words, images or symbols that are lewd, obscene, vulgar or sexual in nature;
- Advocates for a specific political issue or viewpoint;
- Contains language that is proselytizing in nature;
- Substantially disrupts, or may reasonably be forecast to substantially disrupt or materially interfere with, the educational process or DPSD activities;
- Undermines DPSD’s curriculum;
- Advocates or promotes violation of existing laws, regulations or ordinances, or official DPSD policies, rules or regulations, or poses a substantial risk of causing a violation of the same through the flyer’s distribution;
- Places DPSD in a non-neutral position with respect to a matter of controversy in relation to which DPSD wishes to remain neutral;
- Contains commercial taglines, logos, advertisements or other promotional material of for-profit entities and commercial activities except for a limited placement of logo(s) of event or program sponsor(s); or,
- Does not prominently display the disclaimer set out above.
What Parents Need to Know About Peachjar
Parents that have provided an email address to their child’s school already have a Peachjar account – you should have received an email from Peachjar with your login information. This account is provided so that you can manage your account and flyer delivery preferences – althought, you do not need to log in to receive or view e-flyers. If you did not provide your email address and would like to receive Peachjar e-flyers, let your school office know to add your email address to the your the district’s student information system.
If you are not receiving emails from Peachjar, there are two possible reasons for this:
- Your email address is not on file with your school. You can either login to Skyward Family Access and add or update your email address, or you can let your school office know to add your email address to your student’s family profile.
- It is also possible that tyhe Peachjar emails are going into your spam folder. To prevent the e-flyers from going into your spam folder, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contacts. When you receive your first e-flyer, be sure to click “always display images.” Peachjar is used exclusively for distribution of school-approved flyers.
Your privacy is important to us: Your email address will not be shared with outside vendors or used for any other marketing purposes.
(click on any of the questions below for more information)
The concept of “Kidmail” in schools has always been problematic. Schools (and individual teachers) have always stuffed back packs with information to be shared with parents and, as so many of you know, it’s “hit and miss” at best as to whether or not parents ever really get the information. In this digital age, we can do better!
With Peachjar, as long as the school has an up to date email address, parents receive a copy of the flyer from any device from which they can access their email – phone, tablet, or desktop computer. And even if the email containing the flyer is deleted, parents can Additionally, Peachjar flyers can include a call-to-action button of your choice which allows parents to click to sign up for your program, contact you, or visit your website. Once your flyer is distributed you can even track the progress of your campaign with flyer metrics.
All organizations that wish to distribute informaiton should register at Peachjar.com
Once at Peachjar.com, click Register in the upper right corner and complete the registration form as a “Program Provider”. Once your account is registered, you can immediately start submitting digital flyers by clicking the ‘Send a Flyer’ link in your Peachjar account.
District-approved digital flyers are emailed directly to parents’ inboxes as images – no downloads necessary. Additionally, parents can click on the Peachjar button located on each school’s homepage to view the digital flyers.
The vast majority of families without Internet access at home have other ways to go online. For example, many parents use a smartphone (a great way to view flyers delivered via the Peachjar platform) to go online through a cellular network or use a computer at work or at a public library. That being said, we will always work to accommodate any family that may not be able to access the information delivered via Peachjar.